Friday, June 09, 2006

Now That I Have Yor Attention...

For the past couple of weeks I have been reading sterling reviews of a new restuarant in Williamsburg, Brooklyn called Dressler. Most recently read was Mr. Frank Bruni's in, of course, The New York Times. Many people who know me already have an idea of my opinion of Mr. Bruni, I mean, of his reviews, as I do not know him personally. Week after week it is ALWAYS SOMETHING with this man. And this week it is no different. TWO STARS. TWOOOOO STARS.
The review itself did not at all read like the review of a two star "joint". On top of that IT IS JUST NOT. I digress...
Now, my feelings on Frank's review is another story, literally. What I am most confused about is the RAVES that Dressler is recieving. I am a wee bit puzzled, to say the least. I went there, granted, I went a couple of weeks into it's opening... I am sick of that being an excuse for ANYTHING at this point..., and I was, well, disappointed. I can see where it could be good but I just do not agree with the press. Surprise, surprise!!!
The design is LOVELY. I very much enjoyed sitting at the bar looking at the snails and little creatures in the beautifully crafted decor. What I did not enjoy was the minimum knowledge of the wine list the bartender had and the lack of enthusiam. It is not rocket science, people, and if you are opening a place like this one, please inform your staff about 1. HOSPITALITY and 2. FOOD AND BEVERAGE knowledge.
Following my less than experience at the bar we got our table and everything was made better on the beverage portion of the evening. I decided to change my varietal and the waiter offered to LET ME SAMPLE the wine with a PRESISE, BRIEF and ON POINT description of it. THANK YOU! And there it was, a great red by the glass. DONE.
Onto the food portion of the evening:
(FYI: One of my dining companions that night is a chef- and the kitchen knew.)

We ordered a lot of dishes one of them being the one that has been mentioned in most reviews I have read thus far, the one with the potato galette. Very delicious- like a nod to the neighborhood. It was the stand out of the evening. Our halibut was cooked like my mother made it-for once that is not a good thing. It was WAYYYYYYYYYYYY overdone.
I am not a food critic, I am not CLAIMING to be a food critic, mind you.
"I'm just sayin'"
I don't understand the hype. I can see what the hype is about but I am just not getting it with the menu.
I cannot concentrate on writing anymore, as I am STARVING. I will return to this topic again, I'm sure. My point: not TWO STARS.

No comments: